Many young men find the prices too expensive to buy a dozen roses, thanks to the growers knowing this is the best time of year to jack up their prices. Here are some different ways you can get around this:
- Red roses are the most expensive. If you insist on red roses (considered a sign of love and passion) then DON'T BUY the long-stemmed red roses because the longer the stem the more expensive the rose! When the receiver of the bouquet of roses gets them the roses should be cut UNDER WATER by 1" or more before putting into a vase. So, it stands to reason by buying long-stemmed roses you are paying more for something that will or should be cut-off by the receiver.
- If you go to a discount store or a small store to get a better deal for your roses, feel the bulb part of the rose (just below the petals) and if it is spongy then the rose is not fresh and won't last, but if it feels fairly solid the rose is in good shape.
- Women today don't always want red roses and find other colors more appealing so it's alright to either give a mixture of colors to your wife or girlfriend (should she like pink, yellow, etc.) or just a dozen of another color and a nice card.
- For those young men that can't afford a dozen roses no matter what color, one single rose with a pretty small bow on it should be enough to tell your wife or girlfriend you love her. You can ask the florist to put the ribbon around the stem of the rose for you and add a nice mushy card to go with it.
- My husband and I have been married 34 years and the most precious gift he gave me when we were dating and his company went on strike. He bought me one red rose and a beautiful card. I cherished that one rose so much that I pressed it between a book and I still have it to this day!” Thank you to ProFlowers.com & Answers.com